Episode 83: Infrastructure Considerations for Disaster Recovery
What infrastructure do companies need to make sure their precious data doesn’t vanish into thin air? That’s the topic of this week’s episode, in which Vanessa interviews data security expert Jeff Barber, partner and executive vice president for sales and business development for Prime Data Centers. Vanessa and Jeff chat about what organizations need to think about in terms of data centers and other infrastructure to make sure their data remains secure. Jeff points out that the considerations for citing data centers can be divided into two buckets—physical/infrastructure and data/virtual—and shares the key considerations for each one. This episode will teach you:
• Why companies should divide their data into three categories: mission-critical, business-critical, and noncritical.
• Why a backup data center should be approximately 50 miles away from your main data center and in a different biosphere.
• Why it’s important to have good transportation links between the main data center and the backup data center.
• How placing a backup data center too far from the main data center can create too much latency.
• What the biggest trend in data storage and backup is likely to be in 2022 (hint: its initials are DRaaS).
Finally, Jeff explains why Sacramento is a good Goldilocks location—not too near, not too far, and out of the earthquake zone—to serve as a location for backup data centers for firms in Silicon Valley.
Disaster Recovery Journal:
Register for DRJ’s weekly (Wednesday) webinar series at https://drj.com/webinars/up-coming/
Register for DRJ Spring 2022: Resiliency Transformed at http://www.drj.com/spring2022
Apply to be a guest on the podcast: https://www.asfalisadvisors.com/decoded/
Download the 5 Step Crisis Strategy: https://www.asfalisadvisors.com/services/
Request Vanessa Mathews as a Speaker: https://bit.ly/VanessaMathews
Connect with the podcast!
• Please take part in our podcast listener survey at: https://forms.gle/XDuYPcFjXaydkEXV6
• Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
• Podcast Website: https://drj.com/decoded/
• Twitter: https://twitter.com/BRDecoded
• LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/showcase/business-resilience-decoded/
Jeff Barber, guest
Jeff Barber is a partner and the executive vice president for sales and business development at Prime Data Centers. He has a deep understanding of the entire storage technology stack and has extensive experience managing national and global sales teams for some of the world's largest companies. Before joining Prime Data Centers, he worked for Apeiron Data Systems, Oracle, EMC, and Hewlett-Packard, among others.
• LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/jabarber1
• Prime Data Centers: https://primedatacenters.com/
Vanessa Mathews, host
Vanessa Mathews is the founder and chief resilience officer of Asfalis Advisors, where they are focused on protecting the legacy of the leaders they serve through business resilience. Before becoming an entrepreneur, Mathews developed global crisis management and business continuity programs for government and private sector organizations to include Lowe’s Companies, Gulfstream Aerospace, and the Department of Homeland Security.
• LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/vanessa-vaughn-mathews-mba-cbcp-70916b4b/
Jon Seals, producer
Jon Seals is the editor in chief at Disaster Recovery Journal, the leading magazine/event in business continuity. Seals is an award-winning journalist with a background in publication design, business media, content management, sports journalism, social media, and podcasting.
• LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/jonseals/
• Disaster Recovery Journal: https://drj.com/